Fulfilling patient goals..! What should Doctors provide (?)
Interactions between medical providers, patients, also medical providers and other hospital staff will play a major role in how patients comprehend their hospital visits. Also to ensure positive patient encounters, here are few recommendations for doctors to fulfill doctor-patient goals:
- Build your presence to your patients that you understand patients condition and feelings by showing sympathy during their hospital visits. Sympathetic communication is one of most valued modalities, it ensure a trust between doctor and patient's relationship. The following few steps will strengthen patient communication skills :
- Concentrate on what the patients are communicating;Always engage in active listening.
- Seek to minimize distractions and interruptions when visiting with your patients.
- Be deliberate about the nonverbal cues you send.
- Offer/ Provide, concrete feedback. When you sum up what you’ve heard, formulate your answers by stating, "Let me see if I have this right..." ;
- Try to identify the patient’s feelings by asking, “Tell me how you’re feeling about this” or in any other forms.
- Allow the patient to correct or add to your responses until they confirms your understanding — "Did I miss anything?"
- According to few sources, the effective use of empathy promotes accuracy in diagnostic procedures, therapeutic adherence and patient satisfaction.
- Enhance your counseling and listening skills by using a simple questions and gather information about the linguistic context of the patient’s visit by:
- What is going on in your life?
- How does it affect you?
- What about the situation troubles you most?
- How are you handling difficult situation?
- That must be very difficult for you?
- Be prepared to provide culturally responsive care It is always recommended, to understand the impact of culture on your patient’s recognition of symptoms / behaviors related to their sickness; Aware of how your own cultural values, beliefs and assumptions that may influence your delivery of care, finally, doctors must ready to address language barriers through the use of family members, interpreters and other resources, where ever needed.
- Derive a new view to patients by evaluating self biases.Doctor will encounter patients who, for one or another reasons, it might cause you frustration or even anxiety some times. In this situations, take time to analyze why you feel in this way. The reason a particular patient gives you trouble might be found in your own past.
- Ask about any alternative treatments that the patient may be using so far. More patients are turning to alternative medicine providers for help with their symptoms or disease conditions. By knowing this information will help you to make an accurate assessment and develop a treatment plan for the patient to give them better results.
- Discuss clearly with your patients about their lifestyle issues. Understand and appreciate the fact that many people derive pleasure from unhealthy habits, such as smoking, alcohol and etc. Avoid merely listing the negative effects of your patients’ actions; instead, highlight the positive effects a new lifestyle could bring.
- Allow patients to express their own concerns about changing their behaviors and life styles.
- Ask your patients how confident they are that they can change;what will be the most critical aspects of changing for them. Effective / Open communication is key to being the best power for patients.
- Give a special attention to attending patient encounters with difficult people; observe the few ways how to react verbal, nonverbal cues and etc.
- Find out for what types of questions do they ask?
- How do doctors orient their questions and behavior in response to the patient?
- There are many specific dealing techniques where doctors can utilize during "problem-patient" encounters, such as (a) allowing patients to vent (b) trying not to judge (c) remaining calm (d) finding out underlying psychosocial factors (e) modifying the patient interview and etc.
If patients were, recommended for diagnostic tests or referred to a any specialist further better results, make sure those advices given by you to be happen. Also communicating test results to patients is very important. Always use simple terminology when explaining diagnosis information or while providing treatment options to the patients.
Through mutual understanding between doctors and patient will builds trust, and through trust gets always patient cooperation, finally fulfills doctor and patient goals.
The thoughts and analysis contained in this report are based on data and assumptions derived from external sources, and are presented for knowledge purposes only. Readers must take full responsibility of use of information provided. HarNeedi.com will not be responsible for any of the damages and claims thereof.